Volunteers at CFLC make a difference.
Our literacy programs rely on volunteer power to make a difference in the lives of adult learners in the Cape Fear region.
Your support helps us to fulfill our mission: to provide personalized education so adults can transform their lives and contribute to a stronger Wilmington.
Learn more about the vital role that our volunteers play here at the Cape Fear Literacy Council:
- Trained and certified volunteer instructors aid program staff in providing direct educational services to adult learners.
- Our Partners in Literacy work with staff to raise awareness, recruit volunteers, coordinate fundraisers, and other events, and keep our building and grounds intact.
- Auxiliary volunteers give their time to support us with bulk mailings, covering reception, and other important administrative efforts.
Want to know about tutoring at CFLC? See details below.
Become a Tutor
Adult learners at the Cape Fear Literacy Council meet one-on-one with tutors throughout the year, focusing on skills necessary to achieve their personal, educational, or employment goals. Small group sessions and classes are also available. Tutoring is done both remotely and on our campus by appointment.
To become a tutor for the Adult Literacy or English as a Second Language program, volunteers must:
- Be 18 or older and a high school graduate. No teaching experience or foreign language proficiency is required.
- Complete a 9-hour tutor training workshop for Adult Literacy or English as a Second Language to become Pro-Literacy Certified.
- Have time to teach! We ask one-on-one tutors to commit to teaching 3 hours/week plus prep for at least six months. Class instructors commit to 1.5-3 hours/week for eight-week sessions.
Our upcoming tutor training workshops will begin in January 2024, scheduled as follows:
Adult Literacy Program (AL)
- Jan 22nd, 24th, 29th from 1-4 in-person at CFLC Building B
- April 2nd, 4th, 9th from 5-8 pm in-person at CFLC Building A
English as a Second Language (ESL)
- [ONLINE] February 5th-9th via Zoom 7-8:30 pm
- May 14th, 15th, and 16th from 1-4 in person at CFLC Building B
SIGN UP FOR TUTOR TRAINING:
Please get in touch with us about volunteering as a tutor. To enroll in an upcoming tutor training workshop, please follow these steps –
- Call (910) 251.0911 to register for your selected workshop.
- Once you have spoken to a member of staff and registered for training, complete payment for workshop materials below.
Classes and tutoring are available both IN-PERSON and REMOTELY. In-person meetings are available by appointment only, Monday – Thursday, 9 am to 4:30 pm. Call us first to make an appointment or for more information at (910) 251-0911.
Cape Fear Literacy Council follows CDC recommendations and NHC mandates to keep our environment as safe as possible. Thank you for your patience and cooperation as we strive to protect our students, staff, and volunteers! Please review our Mask Policy Update 3.10.22
Are you task-oriented, organized, and enjoy customer service? Do you enjoy working alongside other change-makers in an inviting and professional setting? Then volunteering at the Cape Fear Literacy Council may be the opportunity you’re looking for!
CFLC’s non-instructional volunteers help with operational duties like bulk mailings, covering reception, staffing events, and more. We offer numerous ways for volunteers to join us in fulfilling our mission: to provide personalized education so adults can transform their lives and contribute to a stronger Wilmington.
Join one of the Cape Fear Literacy Council’s Volunteer Teams today — and share this opportunity with a friend, because giving back is more fun together!